Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 23, 2011

Hey everybody!! Aloha!! :) How is everyone?! That's great to hear! I hope you are all just doing awesome!
This week was a good week! It can just be hard here because the people and the island is so laid back! Throws ya off as a missionary! Used to working nonstop and being super busy.  Now it's like we just visit and do service, to laid back I don't like it! It'd be cool to come here on vacation or honey moon or something! haha But not as a missionary! Na I love it here it's great to be serving out here in the littlest country in the world. It's quite a trial but it's good! I'll learn new things and just continue to progress and move forward.  So things are going good here! We had quite what President calls "creative proselyting" this week! The island has their own version of cricket here they call Niue cricket. haha It's hilarious if you saw it!  Anyways I don't even know anything about the normal, palangi cricket anyways! But we hopped on with the team a lot of the members are on.  They heard I played baseball growing up so they wanted us to come play. haha So we had a game last weekend man it was funny.  I'm the only white kid there so they all think it's really funny.  The whole island basically comes because there's nothing else to do on the island.  It's good though because we are getting to know lots of non-members through it so hopefully we get an opportunity to share the gospel.  I made this play which was a total fluke and was lucky but they say it won the game haha I had no clue!  While the runners are going if you hit the wickets with the ball while a runners going their out.  It was their last hitter and he was dominating.  I was in the outfield and he hit a grounder my way.  I scooped it and threw it in as fast as I can.  I think this is where being God's servant helps, it was a far throw and somehow a miracle occurred and it hit the wicket! Man it was so funny!!
So while we're doing other daily things people will come up and talk to us about it because I guess that was the last play and it stopped them.  I tell them I meant to! :) haha but i didn't even know that's how you get them out! Total luck! haha so that was really funny!!  We did lots of service again this week! Just work work work! More blessings! On sunday I taught the lesson and blessed the sacrament and gave a long talk to take up sacrament! haha Not enough members in that north branch.  Usually about 15 to 20 each week.  It was our priesthood commemorative program.  Sunday night the branch down here watched the last session of conference so we watched that.  I can't beleive conference happened 3 weeks before easter and we're finally finishing them up now!! We truly are cast away here! Things have been fun! Just doing the best we can with what we got! You think it would sound or be easier being somewhere like this.  But it's so much harder because you know this is the Lord's time and you wanna do all you can, but here you feel restricted and like you can't be sharing your testimony all the time which is hard.  But I know I'm here for a reason so I'll just keep doing the best I can! We've been with a couple of the guys who are thinking of going on missions a lot, so that's been good.  Trying to help them and give them the boot to get them going. 
Today for pday we're gonna go play golf.  There actually is a little golf course how cool is that?! So we're going golfing today! Sorry dad golfin in paradise!! :) Besides that it's such a small place, just little villages and tiny shops in the market.  So beautiful though.. One of my favorites here on Saturday nights the family just drops off the dinner so we always take it to the sea warf at night and just eat and watch the waves hitting the reef and the rocks and look at the absolute stunning pacific star constellations. There's beauty all around here it's just insane! Someday you'll all get to see the pictures! I'm trying to think of what else! Not much to update on! We haven't heard yet if Losalu's going which makes me kinda nervous! haha it's hard to get along with this guy.  I try my best but sometimes his pride gets in the way of our work and relationship. But maybe I need to be compelled to be more humble! 

"God comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable."-
Jeffrey R. Holland in conference! :) So it can be tough! Another six weeks would be a very hard trial! But we'll see!!  Well everybody just don't forget of me on this puny rock out here! I never forget you all and I love and miss you all very much!!

Love Elder Devey

No comments: