Sunday, December 5, 2010

Meri Kiritimatti!!

Merry Christmas!! 

That was merry christmas in Kiribati.  Now that I'm basically C3PO with languages! haha not really.  But Kia Ora to all of you in America!  Thank you once again for your support! And I'm excited for these packages that will soon be here... I'm expecting heaps! haha just messin all goods.  It's so weird, of course I feel that Christmas spirit and everything.  But with how the weather is and just working hard day in and out it doesn't feel a thing like christmas is close at all.  It's really weird!  Guess when we get to go to the temple we'll see their Christmas lights and it may feel more like Christmas.  Even though the lights are on palm trees haha. :) I'm livin the life here that's for sure!  I've been on my mission now for over 3 months i think... Time has just flown by, it's unreal.. I almost don't like it!  I don't want the mission to go too fast! I wanna be able to cherish all the amazing experiences here..The mission is truly the most incredible thing that us young men can be a part of. It really is life changing and just the most amazing thing ever.. I truly don't now how to describe how much the mission has meant to me so far.. It's been so incredible.. I love it all so much.. Being able to help the Lord's children and bring them to the truth and light in the restored gospel.  Not only serving others but what it does to me, my heart, and my testimony myself.. I've already made such a dramatic change in these few months.  I can't beleive the stupid "boy" I used to be!! I now see what life is really about.. I mean I already knew, but wow there's so much more!!! So ya I've been loving every moment of the mission so far.  It's ups and downs, It's all been the best thing that has ever happened to me.  This week was good!  We had quite the surprise on Tuesday!! :)  One part of the day we were going out with a prospective missionary in our ward and some appointments fell through and I just had this impression to head back to our flat.  So we threw our bikes in Nuatua's massive van and drove back.  There were 3 missionaries outside our flat waiting, we had no word of anything happening this day.  But we got out and they told us here's your new companion!  haha His name is Elder Jibas (seebus).  He's from the Marshall Islands.  That was his very first day of the mission.  He never went to the MTC, I guess he was stuck in Hawaii a little but now he's with us! So the last couple weeks of this transfer were in a 3man companionship.  And I'm starting to train already I guess! That's what Pres said!  So it's gonna be a fun opportunity! Me and Baraniko are gonna be his MTC!  It's been fun! We had no warning and so we've had to scramble to make it so all could work, we ran out of food and it's been a fun experience.  They're both wonderful guys, they're both so fascinated with America though.  They haven't heard to much coming from small islands.  But ya so that was a great blessing and experience!  With the added faith from this new missionary we were able to have a great week.  We set a family for baptism on Christmas Eve, and Solomon on Christmas.  Paora finally got answers to his prayers... It was one of my fondest memories thus far..  Ever since I've been here me and Elder Atkin started workin on Pa.  We've grown a great friendship with him but he just wouldn't change.  Every time we're there I really feel like I just pour out my soul to him.. And he has improved a whole lot because he 'feels' its all true but he doesn't 'know'.  So he has changed a lot but he's still addicted to a whole lot of different things.  He's tried, but he can't fight them off.  And this Sunday we held a fast with him.  Saturday night we went out and got a whole lot of fish n' chips.  (Which is fish and fries, they call fries chips.)  And we had a feed with him.  Than we opened a fast where he wouldn't take anything at all.  On Sunday he came to church and than to a Marai fireside with us at night.  The fireside was soo powerful.. It was about the Maori culture and how they're direct descendants of the lamanites.  Hettueta Jones spoke, whose a famous Maori and is a member of our church.  And Spencer W. Kimball prophesied that in the last days the lamanites would flock to the gospel.. And that's what's happening in this mission! How awesome is that!? I get to be a part of bringing the descendants of the lamanites into the Lord's church, part of that prophecy! But anyways it was a strong cultural presentation and the spirit was very powerful.  Many people bore testimony of their heritage and what the Book of Mormon means to them.  Because it's actually an account of their ancestors, the ones who traveled here.  And Pa's Maori and he just loved it.. With the testimonies at the end ALL of it related to him, and he felt it.. After it was over I walked over to Pa to chat with the man to see how he liked it and he just hugged me.. He usually sees us as some of the bros so it's definantly not like him to hug! But he just started thanking me for my persistance and all I've said.. He said he finally got the answer he's been looking for and that last cigarette the other day is his last one.  He said without a doubt I'm getting baptized THIS next weekend!  It was incredible.. How the Lord gives answers.. Pa has had faith at the beginning, He had that trial of his faith and through it was able to finally receive the answer he was seeking.  The Lord answered him in his time.  But now Pa says he's all in! When we were leaving the sunset was just absolutely stunning as they always are here and he turned to me and said "that's the setting sun of my old life, now begins a new life."  It was just SSOOOO incredible! Because I've really grown close and fond of Pa.  We have a strong friendship and it's been so hard, and I've done everything I could possibly think of for this guy. Seriously though we've done so much for him and finally our labors are being harvested.  Last night when I was talkin with my companions about it I just started crying. Because I really love Pa and I've tried so hard and I know he finally received his answer.. So that was the highlight this week! :) So everyone pray for him and add to the efforts so he can enter in by that gate of the waters of baptism this next weekend.  That would be much appreciated! :)  But ya this week was a great one! A lot of surprises and opportunites to grow.  And of course funny moments as well.  Like this old lady we see EVERY single day who just absolutely hates missionaries.  The other day we rode by her house and started talking to her son and she was washing her car and she started trying to spray us with water and yelling at us in her little voice.  it was hilarious! Poor little old lady! If only she knew! haha But ya so things are good here! I love hearing from you all and love the support!! I love you all very much and pray that the Lord will  be with you every step of the way this coming week! Happy Holidays and I love you all very much!!! :) as always Ofa Atu from Aeotorea!! Kia Kaha!! :)
With love Elder Devey

No comments: