Sunday, February 20, 2011

Feb 20, 2011

Aloha everybody! So a lot of fun things and exciting news this week! First off, just like that the Lord has given me another big calling and a challenge! As you saw in the heading! I think the family already has heard because the President called them. But he needed to find out exactly how obedient and trustful I am because I'm going to be all alone soon! So our mission covers all of the North Island of New Zealand, and a random island 1400 miles away close to Tonga and those Pacific islands.  It's a tiny spec of land and every once in a while they'll send two random missionaries there.  Out of the 200 something missionaries in our mission somehow I was lucky and blessed enough to get this call. President called me earlier this week and just started asking questions about my worthiness and how obedient I am.  He's like, “alright cause I'm going to need to know I can trust you, I won't be hearing from you for 6 months” I was like “what?!” He tells me you're going to Niue! Not only is this very rare but I feel it was very inspired. 
Growing up I always had the vision that I would serve among people like that on a small island and I kid you not! I just started crying when I heard the news.  I've never been more excited for anything in my entire life!! Not only is New Zealand amazing but to get to have an opportunity like this.. It will change everything about my life. It's still going to be hard to though.. New Zealand has come to feel like home, and now I'm leaving that too.  Background from what I've heard of Niue! Don't know much maybe you guys could tell me more.  But a couple months ago they ran out of toilet paper haha.  The van the missionaries use is one of the only vehicles on the island so people are always interested. (I get to be the designated driver by the way haha.) Only a tiny airplane will land there once every couple weeks and everyone goes to watch it.

 I'll have to learn Niuean as I go! So I do get a language! haha :) I hear they're wonderful people but it's hard to baptize there, so I may not be seeing the success that I've been able to here.  Doesn't mean anything though! I'll just go out there with the same mindset of saving souls!  There’s not much people that live there, you apparently end up getting to know everyone.  Do lots of service and you literally get to have a mission like the "other side of heaven!" haha except the island's smaller than Tonga!  It's really sad though because a lot of the missionaries I've come really close to or even President and his wife will be gone when I get back... It will be a whole different mission.  By the way we found out our new President this week! They'll be coming in July! So a lot of that will be really hard.. But I'm so excited.. Right away I got a confirmation from the Lord that this was right.. That the Lord needs me there for a reason.. I can't wait to go and be a representative of Jesus Christ on that island.. It's going to be so exciting.  My comp is going to be Elder Losalu, he's a Tongan that came in with me.  Apparently the language is really similar to Tongan so they always have a Tongan and a palangi (white person) that go.  I'll definitely be the only white person there! haha Kolipoki! haha :) It's sad I'm leaving this area so fast.  Just got here now I'll be going.  We finally have gotten the area rolling again and I'll be taking off! So that's kind of hard! It's going to be a whole new world there.  This will definitely be the furthest away from home I've ever been.. News with this area, our baptism we were going to have this week is being pushed back 2 weeks.. So I may not see one in this area.  At the end of last year we baptized weekly! But the first 2 months of my "full year" on the mission we've had nothing.. But I know my efforts haven't been in vain.  Though I don't get to see the fruit of my labors I'm satisfied and comforted with my efforts.  I truly have been giving my all, I feel I have been serving with "no regrets".  So maybe this is my miracle and my blessing from my labors is preparing me for a new adventure on Niue..:) It's hard to not get excited or think about it! Trying my best to focus!!!  I love you all and I thank you for the support!!! :) It's amazing to see the blessings and miracles back home!! I love you so much!!!
Elder Devey

No comments: