Sunday, December 4, 2011

December 4, 2011

Tis the Season to be Jolly!!

Hey everyone!! :) How are you all doing?! I'm just doing absolutely fantastic!! I hope everyone has the spirit of Christmas and is enjoying the winter time!! It's way too hot here! haha

 Things went really good this last week! We worked our tails off that's for sure!  The week started on fire that's for sure! Monday night was just on fire!! And we kept it burning throughout the week.  That's our little zone theme up here anyways! "The Bush is on Fire!" We're up here in the bush as they call it in the Pacific and it's been on fire lately!

  So a week ago I forgot to tell a couple of cool stories! First of all we were invited by good ol Jigs Ngawaka to come and speak at multiple funerals on Marais.  Which is the Maori, sacred cultural halls that they do everything in.  They're so cool! Anyways he never got to get a hold of us so we weren't able to go and do it! I wish we were! That would have been so much fun!! That would have been an experience of a lifetime. Whole villages come to funerals because everyone is family in the Maori culture.  So it would have been intense! Also last week Sister Ngawaka turned 70 and she invited us to her family dinner celebration thing at a nice restaraunt.  So we spent our dinner hour there.  The Maoris when they do these family gatherings people are called up to say some words and than to give a musical talent.  And so during it we're sitting there minding our own business and there's heaps of people there.  Just eating out steaks which I haven't had since home by the way! And Pamela calls the missionaries up to say some words! haha there's heaps of less-actives and non-members there.  Elder Spence right away looks at me and says you know them better than I do!! haha So I have to go up and say some words about Sister Ngawaka! After I'm done than I realize  have to do some sort of musical talent! I was like uh oh!!  Good thing the Murray's were there and of course my faithful companion:) So got them to come up, Brother Murray on the Eukalele and we sang I am a Child of God haha! So that was a fun experience!!

 Anyways back to this last week! We did a few trade offs which are always fun! I love working with other missionaries and learning from them and their strengths! For some reason this week, like never before since I've been here, we did over 5 blessings at a nearby hospital for members which was a great experience.  We love having opportunities to exercise the priesthood and God's power given to man.  So that was great experiences!!

  Also two companionships fought actually, but it began with one of them first.  A tongan and a canadian!  A bad mix! They got in a fight and we had to go over and snap them out of it!!! When you walked into the flat you could just feel the tension!! It was crazy!! So we took them into separate rooms and talked to each one.  Of course I took the Tongan my Masi!!!! And we worked things out, brought em back and talked all together than got them to hug and make up!! haha fun stuff!! :) Also another companionship has been grinding heads to! One came in with me Elder Sorenson.  So we had to go on a blitz with them and work them out as well!!! It's a joke! Though Islanders may be prideful in their own ways but also very humble, some palangis have a hard time with them.  I love em to death I don't see how you can't get along with them!!! So we're helping the missionaries there!   So that's been some funny stuff!

 We reset Brownie, the musician(man he's incredible no joke!) to the 24th Of December!! I'm dreaming and hoping of a white Christmas!! He has quite a bit of word of wisdom issues which everyone does!  So we gave him a blessing and he's been doing great! He's pumped about baptism as well!!  This Saturday missionaries here in Whangarei had quite a few baptisms so we went to all of them! That's what I love about being a Zone Leader, getting to see all the baptisms!! One of them couldn't get anyone to preside so we had to! haha that was a new experience as well:) Sunday was really great in Whangaruru again.  We love it so much there! Had lunch with our fav's the Saddlers who are just the coolest people ever!!  And the same old story out there! Just teachin and preachin!!

 hmm... Think that's all that's worth tellin!! So things are great here! Hoping this is my 6 month area!! Love the Northland of New Zealand to death!! :)  Hope you all have a wonderful week and Happy Holidays!!!! :)
 
Love Elder Devey

No comments: